The most outspoken member of Congress today called for the abolishment of the entire Department of Homeland Security, which oversees agencies like Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and Homeland Security Investigations (HSI). The Rundown is a big fan of the idea of shutting down federal government agencies – just not the ones that are actually useful.
Who: Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY)
What: “Because the core structure of ICE, I believe, and frankly the entire Department of Homeland Security – this was established by George Bush right in the wake of 9/11, right as the Patriot Act and all of these different institutions that were frankly very large threats to American civil liberties started to get established,” AOC said. “And people sounded the alarm back then that these agencies are extra-judicial, that they lack effective oversight, and it is baked into the core foundational structure of these agencies.”
“I think so. I think we need to undo a lot of the egregious mistakes that the Bush Administration did,” she said when prompted on whether DHS should be eliminated. “I feel like it is a very qualified and supported position, at least in terms of evidence and in terms of being able to make the argument that we never should have created DHS in the early 2000’s.”
But DHS is was not an “egregious mistake.” In fact, it’s a necessity. Here are just a few of the things DHS has done over the past week:
- HSI arrested a man and charged him with submitting false documents to a government agency and aggravated identity theft.
- A man who was arrested by ICE was sentenced to prison time for attempting to illicit sex from a minor in exchange for drugs.
- HSI offered its assistance in a child exploitation case involving a man who is accused of photographing underage boys in a Boy Scout changing room.
- ICE’s Enforcement and Removal Operation (ERO) removed a foreign fugitive from sought on rape charges in Germany.
- ERO removed and repatriated 37 Cambodians, 35 of whom had committed crimes other than entering the country illegally.
Where: New Yorker Radio with David Remnick
Why It Matters: An agency fighting dangerous criminals should not be abolished. The political left has become so radical that rhetoric which would have been out of bounds just a decade ago is considered run-of-the-mill today.
Like The Rundown News on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/therundownnews/
Support our work in Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/therundownnews